Friday, February 14, 2014

You want me to do "My Business" where?

So it turns out, as a Guide Dog Puppy in training, you must do "your business" on the cement.  Uh, what!?!  I have no grass, no dirt, no bark-dust with all the great smells that other dogs get.  I get cement.  Ok, that's fine, I can roll with it but it just might take me a little longer.

There are all sorts of little things I can pick up really quickly while we are standing on the CEMENT.  Leaves, little pebbles, a piece of dirt.  As much as I love putting those things in my mouth, I DO NOT like it when they dig it back out of my mouth.  Gall-ly when do I get to have any fun?

The Fam tried to explain to me why I have to do "my business" on the cement.  Apparently when/if I become a working Guide Dog for the Blind I have to do "my business" where my blind handler tells me to.  Turns out if/when I become a Guide Dog that means the person I'm with can't see, WHOA!  That piece of information knocked the fur right off me!  Apparently THAT means I'm leading my handler around town and I"M THE EYES FOR MY HANDLER!  Now, I see why they keep telling me *ME* I'm special! 

Okay, I'm a smart pup (please see "What's in your pocket?" post and you'll see just how smart I am.) so it makes a little more sense why I have to do my business on the cement.  My blind handler might not be able to find grass, dirt or bark-dust etc for me to do "my business" on.  I need to be able to go in a parking lot, sidewalk etc. Okay, I can do this! 

Wish me luck!

Truckee - Guide Dog Puppy in Training (Now I get why they call me that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment